World Wide Wanderlust: Hello my only one

Hei

So Pori is still just as beautiful as ever. Adjusting to the short daylight hours and the eight hours I lost during travel has been quite the task (I’m still not adjusted), but I think the biggest struggle I have faced thus far is being American…. the only American. There are only about 20 international students (students not from Finland) at my University. The majority are from France, a small amount from China, and then me. I can’t say I am entirely surprised though.

For those who know me well, you know that I am a pretty loud and outgoing person in the states….. Well you could only imagine the way that comes across to Europeans. My roommate tried to explain to me the difference in what I would consider “personalities” between Americans and Europeans from different areas. Basically what I grasped from the conversation is that I scare them. I think they’ll start warming up to me though, sooner or later.

I haven’t really gotten out to do a whole lot of “fun” things yet. I’m trying to take advantage of some quiet time to adjust as best I can and try to be as prepared as possible for the upcoming semester. Paperwork, paperwork, and more paperwork has pretty much consumed the first three days of my trip, but I’m not complaining. I have a pretty nice view out my bedroom window.

I don’t want to share too much with you all on just my second post, so until then.

Niin kauan nyt,

HannahWindow

One thought on “World Wide Wanderlust: Hello my only one

1. Hey Hannah, I remember Scott telling us that the Finnish people are very reserved and like their space. I think a lot of Europeans are also like that ( but not all)! Not to say that you shouldn’t be yourself but you may want to tone it down a little so as not to offend people.
    Will classes be starting soon? I’m so excited for you.
    Love you, aunt susie