The Lion, the Witch, and Jon Snow

This weekend I had the literary adventure of a lifetime hiking the Mourne Mountains, reaching the top of Slieve Donner, the highest peak in Northern Ireland.  I’m not much of a hiker, so I expect I will be spending this entire next week recovering from this experience, but despite the pain in my calves and my knees, I can say without a doubt, this was worth it.

The Mourne Mountains are famed for having inspired C.S. Lewis to write his depiction of Narnia, and I can definitely see how he could have been so inspired. There is something so ancient feeling and magical about these mountains, it feels as if a giant could be around the next rocky corner.

Near the Mourne Mountains is Tollymore Forest Park, with a beautiful hiking trail along the River Lagan. This is also the filming location for woods scenes of Winterfell in Game of Thrones, so I was especially excited to see some spots of memorable scenes. It was an incredibly perfect time to visit, as the leaves were turning and the weather was cool, and I think this little adventure will be one I remember for the rest of my life.

Mourne Mountains

Mourne Mountains

Tollymore Forest Park

Tollymore Forest Park