Oh… You mean I have to go to class?

Classes have started here, which is an interesting change. At first, it seemed as though this was just the vacation of a lifetime, but sitting in the classroom reminded me of why I came here in the first place. The classes I’m taking are Adaptation and Historical Fiction, Modernist Literature, and Writing and Publishing. If you’re a nerd like me, this sounds very, very exciting.

I have to say, even though I have been through the routine of starting a new semester eight times now (Oh that makes me feel old), I was pretty nervous for the first day of classes here. I had no idea what to expect.

Part of me thought when I came to class, the rest of my Irish classmates would think it was super interesting that I was American. I thought they would be thrilled by my accent, and ask me lots of questions about the grand ole U.S. of A. And then, I would politely turn the attention back to the teacher. This was not the case. In fact, no one even mentioned my American-ness, if they noticed at all. My first foray as a lone international student in a sea of native Irish was actually extremely normal; to the point where it verged on… boring. It was just a normal syllabus week.

The major difference that I can see is the work expected outside of class. My classes meet once a week, and the rest of the week, the students are expected to read, write, and explore their subjects on their own time. This self-direction is nice in a lot of ways, but also potentially makes it easier to not keep up with my studies.

This was also the first time I have only taken 3 classes in a semester, which gives me a lot of downtime, and lots of time to focus on being a student, without a job or any extracurricular activities. Beyond, you know, exploring Ireland.

50 shades of green

Even the sidewalks are green

Campus 3

Northwest has stiff competition for ‘Prettiest Campus’.