La Guía Turística

I have been looking forward to having visitors since I got to Costa Rica, and I am so happy that I finally got the chance to share my experiences with some of my favorite gringos!

My boyfriend came to visit a few weeks ago, and I was so happy to have him here, like a piece of home that I could bring everywhere with me. Helping him get to know Heredia and Costa Rica was like experiencing my first week here all over again, except this time I was helping calm someone else’s culture shock instead of feeling the upheaval of my own.

P1010185 (2) (640x480) (500x375)There were some difficult parts of having a visitor that I didn’t expect, like balancing class time and host family time with tour guide (guía turística) time. I also had strong emotions that came with seeing someone that I had been missing for a long time, which was wonderful, but also a bit overwhelming at times.

13429_10153328353519940_4165219103634213183_n (500x333)Overall, showing him around was an amazing experience. I was so happy to have someone from home that would be able to understand why this temporary home has become so special to me.

P1010247 (500x375)My mom, aunt, and cousin also made the trip south to see my Costa Rican home. I wasn’t sure if they were going to be able to come, so getting the trip set in motion was fast-paced. Being a tour guide to three instead of one proved its difficulties, but they trusted me, and we had a lot of fun!

22222_101555207677285632_3111244365595478413_n (500x375)

Four country girls exploring the city and the Caribbean was kind of like a big rollercoaster with its ups and downs (and squeaky bus breaks and giant beetles), but I am so happy that they took chances and had once in a lifetime experiences with me in a new place.

P1010457 (500x375)

One of my favorite parts of their visit was introducing my mom and my mamá tica. Translating for them was hard for me, but it also made me realize how far I’ve come. They are two awesome women, and I am so happy that they got to meet!

P1010373 (500x375)

I am so so lucky to have had such wonderful experiences in Costa Rica so far, and now I feel even luckier that I’ve been able to share them with people I love.

Pura Vida!

Tori :)

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous by Tori. Bookmark the permalink.
Tori

About Tori

I'm a senior at NWMSU, studying Spanish and English Education. My semester will be spent at Universidad Nacional in Heredia, Costa Rica. I'm studying abroad to improve my Spanish skills and to learn about another culture that I've only admired from afar, la vida tica! :)