Ciao, Rome!

Well, I made it – I’m officially in Roma!

This has been probably the longest day (days?) of my life but it has also been one of the best. I left my home in Omaha at 2:30pm and arrived at my new home at 10:30am the next day. I have yet to get one ounce of sleep since waking up at 9am yesterday – yikes – but it has been one giant, amazing adventure.

After arriving at Fiumicino, the airport in Rome I flew into, I met up with the ISA (International Studies Abroad) group. We unfortunately ended up waiting at the airport for almost two hours waiting for more people and buses. But a group of us went to the little cafe upstairs and there I bought my first real Italian cappuccino! I’ve never been much of a coffee drinker but I figured….when in Rome…. Some other people got espressos and they came in doll-sized cups. Too cute.

When I finally got to my apartment, I was pleasantly surprised! It is really cute and spacious. I’m rooming with 5 other girls who all are very kind and awesome – I’m looking forward to getting to know them more. There are three rooms and two bathrooms. It’s all very open and the sounds of the street are a little noisy, but cool. After settling in, we decided to go explore our new neighborhood.

Our neighborhood is called Trastevere and wow. It is beautiful. The architecture of every building is unique and stunning. And the stores! And cafes! On our block alone there are so many little shops – one that has fresh fruit and veggies, one that has bread and wine, and one that is more like a cafe… I’m hoping to make that my breakfast stop. We walked up and down the streets just taking it all in. We kept saying, “We’re in Rome! We live here!” It is starting to sink in, but I’m sure tomorrow when I wake up I will momentarily believe I’m still in Omaha.

Can you spot the kitty?

Kitty in the window

Tonight we are all going to dinner as a giant ISA group and I am looking forward to my first big Italian meal. Tomorrow, we’ll tour the city and go through orientation for the university. In the meantime, I am trying to stay awake. I’ll be sure to post more, so check back whenever!

2 thoughts on “Ciao, Rome!

1. It’s so exciting to hear from you. Wow, you’re amazing. This is going to be “one” of the best things you’ll do in your life, the first of many. Sending you much love and good energy.

2. Maddie; enjoyed reading this – and will check back periodically! pix are amazing. Enjoy your summer!!!