First Thoughts From Athens

Yaisas (hello) from Athens! I have only been in Greece for three days, but it has been nothing less than amazing. There is a large group of study abroad and international students at the American College of Greece this semester. Although we are all different, and even from different countries, I have already made many friendships with wonderful people.

On the night of our arrival we were welcomed with a traditional Greek dinner and a few tips to help us settle in. This is the view from my balcony in Aghia Paraskevi!

Friday was our orientation where we were welcomed to our beautiful campus. We received class schedules, a tour, and a few presentations. The Deree campus is breathtaking. On our tour of campus we visited their Starbucks, Olympic training facility, campus dogs, outdoor theatre and more. This is the soccer and track field at Deree. Amazing, right?

Saturday was a tour of downtown Athens! We got to see the National Gardens, Plaka, the Olympic stadium, and the temple of Zeus. At the beginning of the tour we watched the changing of the guard at the Parliament building.

Plaka is the area surrounding the Acropolis which was really fun to walk through. The houses are beautiful and there are tons of stray cats like the one in this flower pot… look closely!

Today I got to sleep in because we didn’t have any organized events. When I woke up, I made a yummy breakfast and ate on my balcony. My roommate convinced me to go hiking with a group of students and I am so glad that I went! It was a little cloudy here this morning, but a hike was the perfect way to spend my Sunday.

Well, that’s all for now! I miss and love my family and friends a lot, but I am so thankful for their support that has enabled my study abroad experience!

Katherine Fleming