After My First Week.

Hello all,

Today is Sunday in Brno, and I have officially been here for a week.  Saturday morning I took a bus to Vienna to practice with the Vienna Roller Girls.  Trying to catch the bus leaving Brno, I had been given directions to use the tram, well the tram doesn’t run at 6am, luckily someone else was going to the same location I was and helped me get to the bus stop.  I was able to make it to Vienna just fine, but one I was there, things got interesting.  I tried to get on the “U2” the name of their subway, but realized I needed to buy a Ticket.  The Czech currency is the Czech Korun, and Austria requires the Euro.  I knew this before I left but didn’t have time to find an ATM or exchange money.  The card reader for the subway station wasn’t working so I had to try to find a bank.  I eventually did and was able to buy a ticket and find my way to the place where we would practice.

Once at the practice location, I waited for about an hour to see any other roller girls.  I went in and started the 3 hour practice.  I thought the off skates section was great and felt like I got a really good workout.  The second section was skills and then scrimmage.  Neither of these seemed to go well for me.  I play by a different rule set than this group and it definitely showed.  We have very different play styles and there is definitely a disadvantage there.  Afterwords, I went home with one girl so that I could shower and then she was going to show me the city.  About 3 roller girls took me around the city and then we met another 7 at a restaurant for dinner.  We stayed out all day and I carried all of my gear in a backpack, not the brightest idea. Overall it was a great experience though.

How do I feel about Brno?  Well, I am finally figuring out how all of the trams, busses, and trolley cars work.  The food is rather bland for my taste, but that’s just because things are made differently here.  I am able to read some signs and ask essential questions.  The people are interesting.  They are not overly friendly, and very few people over 30 speak english.

All in all, I’m having a good time.

Michelle Bartels

Signing off.

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous by Michelle. Bookmark the permalink.
Michelle

About Michelle

I'm a Junior at Northwest Missouri State University and a Speech/Theatre Education major. I enjoy the outdoors and love exploring the world. I will be in the Czech Republic for about 4 months starting February.