Bucket Lists

The term bucket list first came to my attention after the 2007 movie “The Bucket List” was released.  Perhaps it existed before, but I hadn’t heard the expression.  In the dictionary, bucket list is defined as “a list of things to do before you die.”  I’ve thought several times about putting such a list together but always end up thinking I’ll do it when I have more time.  I’m really not sure when that will be.

It’s difficult sometimes to think through such a list because you have to consider that you will indeed die.  At 33, I’m reaching the point where I realize I won’t live forever.  Young people have this awesome characteristic where they get to think of life as an inexhaustible well.  It never really occurs that it has an end.  As you get older, you realize time is precious and it’s not wise to take things for granted.  I guess that is the stage of life I am entering.  That’s not a bad thing either. 

This maturation took another step last Sunday.  I found out last week, I had an opportunity to go to the Super Bowl.  While I haven’t yet made a bucket list, you can bet Super Bowl was going to be on there.  One of our strongest supporters, Rick Carter, called on Thursday with the invite.  Rick is the consummate jokester, and I really thought he was kidding.  In fact, I had to call a couple of sources and confirm because I had KU-MU tickets for the last border war in Columbia (at least for a while) and didn’t want to give them away if Rick wasn’t serious.  After some investigation, I found Rick was serious.  The Super Bowl experience was everything I hoped it would be.  Great game, great atmosphere.  And I was able to enjoy it with great friends.  Even Madonna was more entertaining than I thought she would be.  (Although I must admit I was disappointed the “material girl” didn’t see fit to sing the song “Material Girl.”)

So I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about bucket lists.  I’m not any closer to putting one together but there are a few things I know I want to do.  There are plenty of sporting events I’d like to see.  A few are the Indy 500, Kentucky Derby, and World Series.  I’d like to take Heather to Italy and France — more because those are her bucket list trips.  I guess just watching her enjoy such a trip would be on my bucket list.  I want to live long enough to walk my 7-month-old daughter, Addisyn, down the aisle.  I will have to live quite some time to do this since Addisyn and I agree she won’t even date until she is 21.  As I’ve spent more and more time thinking about a bucket list, I’ve concluded that one thing is clear:  I want to enjoy each and every day of my life.  Maybe I don’t have a list of things I want to do before death, but I know I can spend more time watching the sunset, watching my daughter grow and watching Bearcats succeed.  Sounds like a pretty tidy list for me, even if it’s not a bucket list. 

Hoops
If you don’t already know, your Bearcat men’s basketball team is all alone at first place in the MIAA.  Three out of our next five games are at home.  We need you at all three!  Tomorrow is Pink-Out day as we take on our rival Missouri Western.  All proceeds go to the Jay and Michelle Drake family to help with their expenses as Jay battles cancer.  The Drakes are great Northwest supporters and members of the Maryville community.  Please join us in our efforts to help our fellow Bearcats.

This entry was posted in Athletics by Wren Baker. Bookmark the permalink.
Wren Baker

About Wren Baker

Wren Baker was named Director of Athletics at Northwest Missouri State University in December 2010. Baker provides leadership to fifteen Northwest athletic programs. Prior to coming to Northwest, Baker was the first Athletic Director in Rogers State University history and led the development of one of Oklahoma's most successful collegiate athletic programs. Before entering administration Baker served as an assistant in the Oklahoma State University men’s basketball program 2001 to 2005. Baker received his bachelor's degree in health and physical education from Southeastern Oklahoma State University in 2001 before earning his masters degree in education leadership from Oklahoma State University in 2003.