Always Believe

I am going to admit it.  I doubted.  Late in the second quarter of last week’s playoff game, the Bearcats trailed Midwestern 28-10.  The Mustangs seemed to be imposing their will on both sides of the ball.  I was thinking about how proud I was of the coaches and players for a terrific season in the face of adversity, but I thought this one was slipping away.  Little did I know, there was plenty of season left.  The Bearcats put together a tough touchdown drive to end the first half and went into the locker room down 11.  The fourth quarter started with the ‘Cats down 14.  We rallied to tie it up before winning 38-31 in overtime.  For me this was an unbelievable thriller.  For many longtime Bearcat fans, it is par for the course.

On the plane ride home, I asked Coach Dorrel what has allowed Northwest to win so many close, come-from-behind contests.  He said it was a culture put into place by Coach T and his staff 17 years ago and it has been passed down from the upperclassmen ever since.  Our players never believe they are out of a game.  They always believe they will win.  “Always believe.”

It makes sense to me.  Every month I write the following quotes on my desk calendar.

“Always expect the unexpected.”

“Too many people spend money they don’t have on things they don’t need to impress people who don’t matter.”

“To whom much is given, much is expected.”

“The big time is where you are at.” – Scott Bostwick

Sunday morning I added a quote I am also fond of.  “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”  I believe this is the foundation of Bearcat success.  (Although I think there was some Bearcat magic in the air on Saturday.)  I believe it is something we can all apply both in sports and in our personal and professional lives.  I also think it is the start to “Always believe.”

Hoops

The Bearcat hoops teams are home for two monstrous conference games this week.  We NEED you here on Wednesday.  And if you aren’t planning to go to Pittsburg on Saturday, we need you in Bearcat Arena then, too.  Our women are improving every day and the men are still undefeated.  Let’s do our part to be the sixth man.

Thanksgiving

Since we celebrated Thanksgiving, I want to close with some things for which I am thankful.

• I am thankful for a beautiful, loving, selfless wife who is an unbelievable mother.
  • I am thankful for my 5-month-old daughter, Addisyn, who has given new meaning to my life.
  • I am thankful for the opportunity to do a job I love with people I love and appreciate.
  • I am thankful for the 450 student-athletes who lay it all on the line every day to represent the green and white.
  • I am thankful for our coaches and administrators and all the hard work they put in.
  • I am thankful for great mentors .
  • I am thankful for my health.
  • I am thankful for my family and friends.
  • I am thankful I live in a free country.
  • I am thankful to be a part of the Bearcat Nation.
  • I am thankful for my colleagues on the NLT, the Board of Regents and all of the Northwest Employees.
  • Lastly, I am thankful to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  He has truly blessed me.

Until next week, “ALWAYS BELIEVE in God, yourself and the Bearcats!”

Wren

This entry was posted in Athletics by Wren Baker. Bookmark the permalink.
Wren Baker

About Wren Baker

Wren Baker was named Director of Athletics at Northwest Missouri State University in December 2010. Baker provides leadership to fifteen Northwest athletic programs. Prior to coming to Northwest, Baker was the first Athletic Director in Rogers State University history and led the development of one of Oklahoma's most successful collegiate athletic programs. Before entering administration Baker served as an assistant in the Oklahoma State University men’s basketball program 2001 to 2005. Baker received his bachelor's degree in health and physical education from Southeastern Oklahoma State University in 2001 before earning his masters degree in education leadership from Oklahoma State University in 2003.

8 thoughts on “Always Believe

1. Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to put your thoughts on the internet so we can see them. Northwest is truly a special place and we are glad you are part of it. We are always proud of Northwest in everything they do.

You hit the nail square on the head with the things that you are thankful for – most of all for expressing your faith in Jesus, our Lord and Savior.

Keep up the good work and GO BEARCATS!!

2. What great thoughts! I met you in the Braum’s after the game. I just wanted to let you know again that I was very impressed by the whole organization and wish you and all the bearcats all the best in your next game.
    I have attended many football games and that one ranks as one of the most exciting!
    Thanks again for taking the time to speak with me on Saturday.