And Then There Was One

It’s come to the end of the trip, and with every last night comes a final blog with everyone’s summary of their experiences. Since we’ve been doing all our blogs together, we figured we’d collaborate for one final blog post.

Just to recap, we’ve done a lot over this trip! We completely repainted a group home under the direction of Anchorage Children’s Homes, and got to learn some behind the scenes knowledge of PCB’s residents who come in and out of their doors every day. We also assisted in shoreline restoration, planting, and reef-building in collaboration with the Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance and some great Americorps volunteers. Each day was a new and exciting experience that really gave all of our members a sense of what they were individually serving for. At the end of the four days of service, we asked everyone for a quick wrapup of what they enjoyed about this trip, what they’ll take from it, or how they’re feeling on the last night. Those answers were as follows:

Emily – During my trip, I learned a lot through my experiences. On top of that, I got to know some pretty cool people and I’m glad I came.
Camilo – I think it was a very interesting volunteer experience and I was able to learn a lot about people here. Everyone is super friendly and cool!
Keegan H. – This was a very new experience for me. I’m glad I did it – it was awesome to bond with everyone and make new friends in more depth than what we got a glimpse of in the meetings before this trip.
Meredith – This was my third ASB trip and every year, I learn more and more about the people around me as well as myself. This year, I felt the focus was finding my strengths and helping others to recognize how they can contribute through their strengths to our work.
James – At the beginning of the year, I was faced with a big decision: do I join this org or not? Looking back, I’m definitely glad that I chose yes. It’s very rewarding to make friends and gain these experiences – something like ASB may only be available for some of us during college, and I now understand that it is always far more valuable to spend time with people that you care about.
Ashlyn – I really have always loved service, but I sometimes find myself so caught up in my day-to-day life that I forget about its importance. It is awesome to have something like this, to have some time set aside to just do some good in the world. A lot of personal growth that I’ve been working on has come full circle this week – confidence, attitude, etc. It has been cool to build relationships with everyone this week, as well as getting to know our own hearts and what makes us all us. Overall: this really has been a rewarding week!
Jess- I was hesitant to join ASB this year – I really thought that this would be too much for me with my busy schedule. But, I am really glad that I did it because I knew I would regret it if I didn’t! Every year, I learn something new – I learn about people, make new friends, etc. It’s such a rewarding experience! I think that it has shaped my college self and who I am today. ASB is who I am. It is a part of my family.
Makayla- The week was very rewarding, and I loved that we were able to see the impact. I also made a lot of new friends and I was able to expand my horizons/gain more experience in service.
Keegan D. – I feel like we got really close together as a group this year. Because of this, we were able to achieve a lot more through teamwork. We really pulled through and did a lot more work than we expected to coming in.
Ashlee – I’m proud of the fact that we got to give back to the world and restore natural habitats. It was just rocks, plants, and biodegradable parts. End quote.
Nicole – I like that we went in with open minds this year. We didn’t really know what to expect and were pretty positive about the situations nonetheless. This helped us to grow closer as a group.
Meg – We could have been doing anything else with our spring break, but it’s pretty great that we all chose to do this. We still got to goof around and have fun as friends, but we did that while giving back to both the community and environment in PCB. Every day was different, but all were fulfilling, and I’m glad I came.
Katie – This trip was a great way for me to meet new people and create new friends through service.
Genet – It wasn’t what I expected for sure, it was very different. The things we were doing (painting, moving rocks, etc.) seemed like minor or mundane tasks, but they actually made a big impact and meant a lot to the community and environment.
Delaney – I’ve had three experiences with ASB, and they’ve all turned out completely different. That’s what I love about our organization – you never really know what to expect. We dabble in a little bit of everything! I love our groups coming together in different ways and bonding over the silliest things – we’ll have these moments for the rest of our lives.
Whitney – Being that this is my last year, I came into this with a pretty heavy heart and knew that it would be bittersweet to write this. This group has shaped me in so many ways in the last three years that I couldn’t even begin to name them. Nothing has been more fulfilling than these experiences over the last few years, and it will be hard to find a family quite like ASB – I can’t say I regret a single thing about joining this group ~3 years ago, and I can’t wait to see where the future takes next year’s ASB pals.

“I’m proud of the heart that every single person in this team has. I love being surrounded by fellow Bearcats and serving the world with them.”– Ashlyn P.