Buildin’ and Fallin’ (the usual)

On Wednesday we started to see the progress we’d been working on all week. My group spent the week reflooring a trailer home that was destroyed during the hurricane back in September. Our 11 peeps and a few from a church in Wisconsin have been working tirelessly (with power tools!!!) to re-insulate, sand down, and replace the flooring. On Wedneday we got all the floors installed! It was so great to look back and see the work we’ve done and the impact we’re going to leave on this family. Since we were replacing the floor, it was only a matter of time before someone fell through the (not yet fixed) floor (good job, Meredith!), but once someone did, so did everyone else! Looking back on the week, we had many things to laugh about, but especially that. Thursday we re-insulated the walls and got drywall put up throughout most of the house. It was our last day, and we were all teary-eyed leaving the site as we saw all our hard work paying off. Truly a great moment.

Only one day was a little rainy and actually cold, but it ended sunny and warm, so we lucked out. This experience has been one for the books, I never thought I’d be in such a beautiful place working on disaster relief, but here we are! Everyday felt so rewarding knowing how we were making a difference. This is my second year doing ASB, and I’m sad I have to wait a whole year to do it all over again! All of these people I’ve met through NW ASB have truly impacted me in a way I’ll never be able to explain. I’ve made some of my best friends through the last two years with this organization, and I’m sad next year will be my last year! We made memories to last a lifetime, and left feeling accomplished. I have only positive things to say about both of my experiences with ASB, and all I have left to say is that I wish we had another week together.

Until next year, ASB.