Day One. Check.

MONDAY – 3/19

We’re finally here after such a long wait. We’ve already finished our first day of work and we’re getting ready for the rest of the week.

Since it was pouring buckets this morning, our beach cleanup was postponed until later. So we began our day at the Ripault Club house on Fort George Island. We did a lot of detail cleaning like cleaning windows, cleaning baseboards and cleaning the wall sconces. Once we finished that, we headed over to Kinglsey plantation to take a short tour. Although it’s more of a serious topic, it was really interesting to see how small the houses were that the slaves lived in and learn more about their lives on a plantation.

After that, we headed over to Little Talbot Island and had lunch. The eager of us scarfed down our sandwiches quickly so we could go see the ocean. I finally got to see the ocean for the first time, and it just made me even more excited for Thursday when we actually get to be in the water and hang out at the beach. But, the moment was short lived because once we were done eating, we got to head out to clean up the hurricane debris in the dunes by the beach. Believe me, I’m all for picking up trash and cleaning up the environment, but the sand spurs and jumping cacti really tested my patience and will power today. Each step had to be carefully calculated so as to not step on the cacti, which were everywhere. But, we all made it out alive with just a few nicks and scrapes, and with bags full of trash. It was tedious work, but overall rewarding to know that our first day has already made a difference.

We’re all exhausted and, I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m excited to see what the rest of the week holds.