Baton Rouge

This alternative spring break trip to Louisiana has been fulfilling and eye opening. The first day of service was spent at a local food bank where we helped box food and unload new donations. We also stopped at an elementary school and entertained some students there during an after school program. The second and third days we were stationed at different work sites that were focused on rebuilding homes. We were volunteering with All Hands, a non-profit organization that specializes in response and recovery. This experience was especially impactful to me because my group got the chance to meet the home owner and her daughter. This family had been living in the same house for 20 years and lost most of what they owned. Meeting these people and helping them get back on their feet made the flood that hit Louisiana a reality for me instead of a news story everyone forgets in a day. On the fourth day of service my group helped with an environmental project clearing trails and brush. It was nice to be outside!