ASB Reflection

Hey everyone, I just finished up this ASB experience. On Thursday I went back to the food bank (we had the option between environmental and food bank). That night we got to experience a bit of Louisiana culture and shop as well. I loved the food bank the second day because the director is super nice and we had a great time. Also a group from the local high school came to help. They were special needs students and it was so fun. We had a dance party and were efficient while sorting through the food. The best experience is because I am wanting to be a special needs teacher so this allows me with a win-win situation! I got to help serve while interacting and getting to meet special needs students. There are always those situations where you realize how easy it is to serve– it really puts into perspective how easy it is to serve. I hope everyone there also took that lesson away because they were hard workers and easily joined us for some work and fun.

Visiting New Orleans and going on a swamp tour was pretty neat both to see a bit of Louisiana culture but it also allowed us to bond too! Seeing all the shows in the middle of downtown is super neat and a huge difference between here and Missouri. I really enjoyed this experience and I can’t just pinpoint the best moment but I’ll share some. One of my favorite was working at the food bank the second time as stated before. I didn’t get to meet the home owner like I had wished but that’s okay because I still have a good idea of how much this volunteering means to them, plus I got to hear some other stories. The staff we worked with on the house were amazing and so fun to be around it made work not seem as much work as it was. I really enjoyed talking to them and asking about their life, how they got into volunteering and etc. My leader Paul has been to all 50 states and travels a lot and Dave is retired and still values his time to volunteering– such big hearts. Overall the best part is knowing why I came here and forming those relationships with people I met as well as this ASB group. It was a blast and I have stories that I can pass on and for sure will.