Day 1 and 2

We arrived late Sunday night to a man with a big smile. We were fed pizza and got a short run down of what the trip was going to entail as well as the expectations for ourselves we should be on the lookout for. The man challenged us to take in each day and each experience. I thought this was interesting because most times we are in fast motion almost forgetting to breathe and take in our surroundings. To “stop and smell the roses” is true. My goal for this week is to take some time out of each day to reflect on what is really happening throughout the week and how my life is being affected as well as the lives of the Baton Rouge community.

Monday, our first service day, we arrived at the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank. There we weighed and packaged food, assembled boxes, loaded palettes, and unloaded storage like units full of canned goods for the Baton Rouge community. This organization is a non-profit that had also been affected by the flood. Their desire for their volunteers is to come twice. Go once and then come back again! The environment was friendly and the work was challenging, but we all made it through with eager spirits!

Following after the food bank, we traveled down to a local school to participate in their after school activities. We specifically worked with the Boys and Girls Club. There we assisted students with homework and were able to play with them in the gym. I was surprised by the welcoming spirits of the children and their kindness. I felt an instant connection with them. Working alongside them was fun and gave me a sense of purpose. Their dependency on us to help them learn was something special and not to be taken lightly. They were a delight!

Favorite part of the day: My favorite part of the day was working with the students with Boys and Girls Club. I worked with a young girl who specifically made my day. Her family had been affected by the flood, but you would never have guessed it. She was sweet, smart, and her kindness warmed my heart!