Blog 3/20-3/22

Hi guys, I’m Avery and this is my first time on Alternative Spring break. This trip has only been 3 days but it has been a blast! It’s so exciting to see both ASB and all the volunteers here that are dedicating their time to help the community. I’m so thankful to be apart of this trip. The first day we helped at the Food Bank from 8-3ish. This was super fun, it really represents how much need there is for donations. One of the biggest facts was how people only donate around the holidays and that money actually goes farther. During this we packed bins and separated cans/ inventory and whatever was needed. That afternoon we got to go to a local school and help out with the after school club. This was super fun the students are so inviting and willing to be our friends! They were super fun and I had a great time– I wish I could go back. The next two days we helped out with All Hands disaster volunteer project. Through this we got to see the homes and get a chance to hear stories about how the flood affected others. Then we got to work on homes ourselves. It’s a lot of work but well worth it, knowing that we are helping families. I enjoyed working with a team and we got a lot accomplished. The time passed by so quickly and I grew closer with the ASB team while participating in this. After getting to meet all these people and dedicate my time, my heart definitely grows because I can put names to faces to real stories. So it allows me to have a greater effect than there already was. It’s been a great couple of days, but they have sure been fun and life changing!