Day 1

This morning we attended an orientation. During the orientation we discussed what we would be doing this week. We also wrote letters to ourselves answering the following questions, “Last time I saw a homeless person, I felt…” After we were finished with Orientation we split into our groups and left for our volunteer sites. My group was sent to the Church of Brethren to volunteer at their soup kitchen called the Brethren Nutrition Program. While we were there we prepared a noon meal for members of the community. There were about 30 people who came for a meal. We made enough that people could come and get as much food as they wanted. After all the guests received their food we were able to make a plate for ourselves and share a meal with our guests. I sat with a gentleman who had asked for someone to sit and talk to him. After talking to him, I realized that he had a hard past. But yet he was celebrating his 20th year substance free! He was really interested me advice about how to stay on the straight and narrow. After I finished my conversation, I went back into the kitchen to continue serving meals. There was this one lady who kept getting meals saying she was talking them home to her bird and she kept taking cookies. It was at this point that I realized that we are here to help those less fortunate and we cannot limit how much is enough.