Service Day 2: Washington D.C.

We had to wake up pretty early for the second service day but I was too excited to be tired. We rode the metro and rode in a van to a place called Seabury. Seabury is a service for senior citizens that aren’t able to do chores for themselves but don’t want to leave their homes. Our leader was Alex and he gave us the history of Seabury before we left for the worksite. We loaded up all the supplies for the service site and we were on our way. Like the day before, each of the ASB members had their own job and worked away. I volunteered to mow the grass and pull weeds. I really enjoyed being able to work outside the entire time and some of the other members did household chores inside. I was able to talk with the lady that owned the house and she was a lovely old lady. She talked about how she was a wielder in WWII and how she promoted due to her wielding skills. She talked about how she would send back some of the money to her mother because she needed financial assistance. When I listening to her stories about WWII I realized how much of a difference we were making for her. She worked hard to be able to afford the home that she lived in and we were able to help her with the upkeep so she wouldn’t have to leave. Like the day before, I’m glad I was able to experience the trip and each day had a different impact on me as a whole.

After working with Seabury, we headed back to YSOP to start preparing a dinner for people experiencing homelessness. We made enough food for 80 people total, including the 40 volunteers. I helped set up the tables and chairs while the other ASB members cooked the meal. We had a shepherds pie, a vegetable mixture, baked beans, bread, and cupcakes for dessert. All the ASB members sat at different tables with the people that came to eat and helped serve the food. I sat at a table with a man named Dell. He was very soft spoken and told me about how he was originally from London and moved to DC for business. I spoke with him for most of the night and then I sat at a different table and played a game with a man named Weldon. We played the game until it was time to close up the church for the night. Honestly, this was one of my favorite days because of how I was able to sit down and talk with so many different people and hear their stories.