Day Two: Washington D.C.

Day two has come and gone just as quickly as day one, but it was still just as fulfilling. My team spent the day at Capital Food Bank separating out expired snacks from bins and reorganizing the edible snacks into boxes. Dozens of rotted pound cake and a couple hundred boxes later, we finished our task and wrapped up at the food bank. From there we had an hour or two before we headed to YSOP for our service meal. We got aquianted with our cohosts, The GlenMount School seventh graders, and then we started with set up. I got to make decorations for the tables, another group frosted cupcakes, another group prepped the salad, and so on. Before I knew it, it was 6 p.m. and the doors where open for the first 40 homeless or hungry guests to come in and hang out with us for the evening. I don’t know what I was expecting, but I definitely was not prepared for what walked through that door. The happiest group of people came marching in for our meal and yes it was a blast. I had the pleasure of getting to know a man named Weldon. Weldon had been experiencing homeslessness for seven years and he had quite the stories to share with me. At the conclusion of our meal Weldon stopped mid story and said that┬áJesus had built a bridge made of the cross for us sinners to get to God and Weldon told me he chooses to walk that bridge every morning. I was shocked. This man was taking on so many troubles but he took the time to shed the love of God on me and the others at our table. I my heart has never felt so full.