Service Day 1: Washington D.C.

The first service day was an awesome way to start the trip. I was in a group with five other members from ASB and we volunteered at Iona senior services. The staff members at Iona senior services were very relaxed and passionate about what they were doing for the community. We started off by setting up a farmer’s market for senior citizens that were experiencing food insecurities. The vegetables were all donated from a farmer’s market and were the vegetables that they weren’t able to sell. Each member of the team had different jobs and I was in charge of sorting the turnips. Each person that went through the farmers market was able to take three items and as many turnips that they wanted due to having so many extra. Additionally, the senior citizens were giving recipes for each of the vegetables. All the senior citizens were polite and ecstatic to receive the food. After the farmer’s market, I helped prepare lunch for the senior citizens. I served the food to them and then I was able to eat lunch with them. They mostly sat there and talked about politics or about what they were going to do with the rest of their day. I noticed in DC that everyone has their own opinion about politics and it isn’t a sore subject. I really enjoyed the experience and I’m fortunate that I was able to help people that were experiencing food insecurities.