Blog #2 Kaitlin Guffey

On the third day of our stay in New Orleans, I visited a community garden in the West Bank area. This garden was originally run by the school then the lot was owned by an older woman in the area and she converted it to a community garden. This garden was organized in a way that each family had a plot and planted and harvested as they wished. This garden eventually lost momentum and died out. In the last year there has been a new born interest with new families that are now in the area. They are trying to restart the community garden in a new way. This garden is entirely organic and is more community style. Families will come to help plant, work, and harvest and will get produce based on the hours they put it. Any excess produce will be donated to local families in need or to the local school. While helping with this garden, we helped to clear the lot so that they are able to start from scratch.

This garden is very inspiring. While we were there working, one mother came to check out the area and brought her three small children. It is very encouraging to see these children there and to see the oldest being interested in making mud, planting, and digging. This makes me hopeful that this garden will be a success. Children that grow up in cities often lack understanding of the way that plants grow and how they are cultivated and prepared for the table. This project will help students to see the process and to bring the entire community together. This has really touched my heart as a future teacher because I have done a lot of thinking about how my future school could start a community or class garden. The children in the school could work to help with the process of growing and eventually eat the produce. I hope to implement this in my future class or school because I think that this garden will have an amazing effect on the community.