Outcomes for fall 2020 must be Re-linked: Updates to Outcome Ratings–New 4 Choice Scale
During the summer, the Faculty Senate Assessment Committee made an update to the outcomes in Northwest Online (Canvas) and the Learning & Teaching Center has implemented this change. The update is a new 4 choice scale. Beginning with the fall 2020 semester, faculty will need to re-link all outcomes for courses using the new outcomes. These are labeled in the Outcomes feature as Updated 2020. Do not use the outcomes in the folder labeled Archives 2017-2019.
Below are the new choices when determining if students have met and achieved outcomes:
- Highly proficient
- Emerging proficient
- Not proficient
To update outcomes that you may have already linked with the old version, open the scoring rubric. Use the edit tool to delete the old outcome and then add in the new one. Specific directions for updating your fall 2020 outcomes are below.
Adding existing outcomes (Program/Institutional/CORE Level) to a Course
- Within your course, in the Course Navigation menu, click the Outcomes
- The following 3 steps are not mandatory but it is strongly recommended that you create a Folder into which to place your Outcomes. You should see the following when you open the Outcomes link:
- To set up a folder, click on +Group and you will see this:
- Enter a name for your Folder (in the example below, it is named “2020 Updated”) and then click Save.
- Click on the Find button
- A screen will come up which looks like this:
- Click on Account Standards, then Northwest Missouri State University and you will see this:
- Please note that all outcome groups now begin with “Updated 2020.” This indicates these outcomes have the 4 point scale as requested by the Faculty Senate Assessment Committee. DO NOT select the outcomes stored within the Archives folder!
- Select the name of an “updated” outcome group to view available outcomes. You can also view outcome groups within other outcome groups.
- When you have located the desired outcome, click the name of the outcome.
- Read the title and description to make sure you have the correct one.
- Click on the green Import button, and that outcome will be imported into your course.
Please note – if you have created a folder, a menu will appear on the screen asking if you want this outcome placed into the folder you created:Click OK
- Repeat this process for all outcomes you want imported into your course.
- You will need to complete this process for all of your courses.
- Once these outcomes are re-linked, they will copy over from semester to semester.
Creating a Scoring Rubric for Assignments
(A Rubric MUST be used in order to assess Outcomes)
**Rubrics can be created for assignments, quizzes and discussions. The creation process is virtually the same for each. These directions will walk through creating an assignment rubric.
- In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link
- Open the Assignment/Discussion/Quiz by clicking the title.
- Assignments – Scroll to the bottom, and click the Add Rubric
Discussions/Quizzes – Select the button with three dots in the upper right-hand corner (next to the “Edit” button). Then select Add Rubric from the menu.
- Enter the criterion for your rubric, if creating a new rubric. If you wish to use a rubric you have already created, select the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select the appropriate option boxes for your rubric
- If you want to write free-form comments to students in SpeedGrader, select the I’ll write freeform comments… This will remove the rating scale for each criteria.
- If you want to use the rubric for grading in SpeedGrader, select the Use this rubric for assignment grading
- If you don’t want students to see the score total for the rubric in their quiz results, select the Hide score total for assessment results Students can still see their point values for each criterion, but the total score will not be shown at the bottom of the rubric.
- When you are finished, click on the Create Rubric
Aligning an Outcome to an Assignment
- Click on the link to the Assignment
- If you have not done so already, create a scoring rubric you will use for this assignment.
- Click on the pencil icon in the Scoring Rubric to edit it.
- Click on Find Outcome
- Click on the folder with the outcome you need to align with the assignment.
- Click on the desired Outcome.
- Deselect the check box “Use this criterion for scoring.” The box should NOT be checked.
This will keep the points associated with the Outcome from showing up in scoring guide and being added to the student’s score.
- Click on the Import button in the lower right-hand corner of the page.
- Click OK
- Click Update Rubric
- If you copy course content from any course which already had Outcomes with the original 2 point scale, they will copy into the Outcomes of your new course!
- You are NOT able to delete these Outcomes out of your course! (The Learning and Teaching Center is NOT able to do it either.)
- That is why it was suggested to create a Folder with 2020 Updated on it, and in that way you can insure you are using the updated Outcomes with the 4 point scale.