We have led several workshops about how to use the Outcomes feature in Northwest Online. During these training sessions, we have been looking at rubrics and the SpeedGrader feature. We have repeatedly heard from faculty, the sounds of a-ha and excitement. This usually follows the demonstration of the SpeedGrader and how it can be used with rubrics to speed up grading, assist with consistency in grading, and cut down on the amount of time faculty spend grading assignments.
How do I create rubrics?
- Select Assignments from the left-hand course navigation.
- Select the +Assignment button on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Give the assignment a title and description. Complete the rest of the assignment details. Save, or save and publish, the assignment.
- At the bottom of the assignment, you should now see a +Rubric button. Select this button.
- Add your criteria to the rubric.
- Note there is a place for a short description and for a longer description.
- Set up the rating scale for your criteria.
- You can add/delete as many ratings as you need. When you hover over the ratings, you can select the plus sign to add additional ratings, or select the x to delete a rating.
- Below the criteria you entered, there is a blue link to +criterion. You can add as many criteria as you need.
- When you have added all your criteria, at the bottom of the rubric creation box, before the create rubric button, there are three checkboxes.
- I’ll write free-form comments when assessing students – this allows you to use a rubric, but without the ratings scale. **Please note** this type of rubric cannot be used if assessing outcomes.
- Use this rubric for assignment grading – This box will allow you to use the rubric for grading purposes, and the grade will be added to the gradebook. If this box is not checked, you can still use the rubric for grading, but the grade will not be added to the gradebook.
- Hide score total for assessment results –
- Select the create rubric button.
- After the students submit their assignment, open SpeedGrader.
- You will see a View Rubric button on the right-hand side.
- Once you open the rubric, you can select the correct criteria rating or enter your free-form comments directly into the rubric.
- When you are finished grading, select the next student’s assignment and repeat.
Need to add Outcomes to your rubric? If you have already created the rubric, select the pencil in the upper right-hand corner of the rubric box. Next to the +criterion link is a link to find outcomes. Select this link and select the outcome on which you want to assess the students.
If you have additional questions about the gradebook or SpeedGrader, please contact the Learning & Teaching Center office at 660-562-1532 or email LTCite@nwmissouri.edu.