Africa in Popular Media

This semester, I decided to take a class that interested me.

A class that doesn’t apply towards my major, but rather something that I would enjoy learning about. (Don’t get me wrong, I love the classes I am taking for my major, but I wanted a class that didn’t go hand in hand with my degree.)

African in Popular Media evaluates how movies and the media have shaped the opinions that we as Americans have of Africans.

My eyes have already been opened up.  The class discussions and topics are intriguing.

Hollywood portrays Africa as a poor country with starving people and malnutrition.  While some of this is true, a lot of it is false.  It is important to look at the cultural differences and see why others live the way they do.

Last week, I had a huge light bulb go off in my head and had to send my professor an email.

Dr. Hesse –

I  had this huge light bulb go off in my head yesterday at the gym! As I was running on the treadmill it occurred to me that nearly everyone (many out of shape) in the room was trying their hardest to burn some extra calories. I thought about how our society truly has a problem with obesity. When you showed the photos yesterday in class of the African tribes, I kept thinking … “everyone is so fit, so toned, etc.”

It is crazy how the world has evolved. Americans, who have ‘everything’ spend ample amount of time working out. We can’t seem to escape body images.

Many Africans live off the land and build their muscles the ‘natural’ way and do not have to worry about lowering their cholesterol by running an extra mile or two on the treadmill. :)

My professor replied back to me and was excited to hear my response.  I love that I can e-mail my professors and they respond back.  Professors at Northwest truly strive to connect with students and form relationships with them.

Well, with all that being said, I need to go.  I’m off to watch the Super Bowl with my friends! … what a very ‘American’ thing to do.

Angela

About Angela

Hello! My name is Angela Wasko. I am a senior from Pocahontas, Iowa. I will graduate in May 2012 with a degree in Public Relations, Advertising, and Interactive Digital Media.
This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Africa in Popular Media

1. Laura says:

I agree. Hollywood doesn’t give a good picture of Africa but then again they don’t give a good picture of anything.