Organizational Spotlight: MMO

Since you are reading a tech blog, I can bet that your first thought to what MMO stands for is Mass Multiplayer Online. Unfortunately, this MMO is not a game. Minority Men’s Organization (MMO) is a campus organization that promotes the betterment of minority men through providing opportunities to learn new skills and become more socially aware. During MMO’s meetings, presentations and round table discussions are given on different topics such as diversity, cultural education, and practical skill workshops such as résumé building and how to tie a tie. MMO is also very well known for their Valentine’s Day banquet, “A Tribute to the Ladies.”

I have been involved in MMO for 3 years, and for the past 2 years, I have served as secretary and treasurer. I can personally attest to the value of MMO. Myself, a Pacific Islander, coming from an overwhelmingly Caucasian majority, was not exposed to the African American culture. In these past few years, I have made friends with many African Americans, and from these friendships, I have learned and experienced the uniqueness of their culture. Being exposed to different cultures has allowed some stereotypes that I had to be broken. MMO is a valuable campus organization, and you are more than welcome to attend any of our meetings and find out just how helpful we can be! Our meetings are Wednesdays at 7pm in Meeting Room B on the 3rd floor of J.W. Jones Student Union.